PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2007, 00:36
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a very strong feeling (partly induced by reading your otherwise excellent posts) that the FWB community response to the Congonhas crash is "those guys goofed up big time and there is not a single thing we could improve in our FWB software. Actually if you think otherwise then your are incompetent in this field, hence unqualified to discuss it."

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start any kind of flame war. It's just that I am seeing too many posts in this thread that point in the above direction.

Let me reiterate that I am pretty much convinced that this tragedy raises many valid questions about HMI and that they deserve consideration and possibly action. I might be wrong but I feel like they are not addressed and might not be in the future.
Just my 2c anyway
I agree

This is not the first nor probably the last time that we will argue that a perfectly sound system has been screwed up by the unanticpated actions of man.

But can we or should we continue to argue that the screw ups are unanticipated? Was this accident really a surprise?

will the next one with all the same ingredients be a surprise?
Will the investigation stop short of looking at the man/machine interface and the smoke trail pointing at the precendents to this accident in numerous previous similar events?

Where was the regulator in their review of the previous accident/incidents with all the same similarities? Could we not see that a catastrophe was coming?