PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 29th Aug 2007, 00:22
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, Re-Heat, how do you measure the superiority of one pilot over the other?
You're the professional pilot - you tell me. Your skills are assessed both in the sim and on the line - are you telling me that you cannot possibly rate one above another by rating the skills required to be demonstrated?

What's so bad about knowing the result there and then? Does withholding the result somehow make it more meaningful?
No, not at all - let me put it more simply - have you ever met anyone from HR in BA? The point is that they have no contact with you, which is not healthy.

Compared to this, we as airline pilots are first of everything else not there to make a profit
Don't tell that to the guys in the US/Singapore who earn more on larger fleets - at least those I know such as BA allow the older pilot to choose a European rather than a longhaul lifestyle...

In the normal biz world, in every career step the pyramid gets significantly smaller. There is absolutely no chance for everybody to move up the ranks. Every step up the ladder means at least a reduction of positions by a factor of 5.
This is a hugely significant point: and largely there are only 2 (or 3/4) on any single flight.

However, that does not influence the point that company seniority systems are far worse (for your financial position as a pilot, and for your career) than a wider seniority system based upon experience alone.