PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 28th Aug 2007, 20:58
grababadger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent 6 years at uni, 2 years HND aerospace, 2 years aircraft maintenance (EASA B1-theory) and 2 years top up to an aircraft engineering degree.

Just started the PPL (self-funded) and am finding that my previous theoretical knowledge gained from uni has helped me with ppl exams and given me the ability to interpret technical information with ease.

At the age of 24 im not sure whether I should apply for sponsorship, ill see how I feel post PPL.

To prospective pilots my advise would be do the A-levels (maths, phys etc), then do a foundation degree in an aircraft maintenance. This will really help you understand the aicraft and its systems. Then do the PPL and if you really like it apply for sponsorship, failing that look at alternative ways of funding the ATPL-there are so many.

If it all goes wrong then you can fall back into aircraft maintenance and keep flying as a hobby, whatever happens remain positive.

Good luck folks.......