PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on leaving
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2007, 17:36
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I fully endorse the comments of the last poster, your "friend" must get a license as their first priority.

Long haul/Short haul, you pays your money and takes your choice. BA, bmi, and some of the IT operators do both so your "friend" could keep their options open there. Virgin, Easy, Jet2 it's either one or the other and if you don't like it then you have to go elsewhere. Then of course there is NetJets who provide another option and who knows what direction they might take in future.

As the last poster says, think about where you intend to live if you go shorthaul. However bear in mind that whilst somewhere like Bristol, Exeter or Leeds might be appealing, when the command slot comes along it will probably be at one of the larger bases such as Gatwick or Stansted. Sometimes it's better to settle your family where they want to be and accept the commuting life, your choice.

In the last analysis the best thing your "friend" can do is go after a job with the best company he can find. (S)he should also bear in mind the old adage that:

"For a successful career in aviation you require a higher standard of foresight than eyesight"

Get a license and good luck.
YS

Edit: I note that as I wrote this the previous post was being deleted. However I hope that the "sense" of my post is retained.

Last edited by Yellow Sun; 28th Aug 2007 at 17:40. Reason: Post referred to deleted