PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2007, 12:59
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
(non pilot speaking)
Flight Safety
(however I still wonder what “look this” was referring to in the transcript)
Indeed. I have said it before in this thread: The need for video cameras on the flight deck is growing. It has been proposed that one camera is mounted centrally to look at the pilots and that another is placed in the roof looking down onto the central quadrant (as I believe it is called). The information would be digital and stored along with all the other data.

Sampling rates would have to be very high to catch every flick of a switch. In this case (if the data was readable) we would see what they were pointing at and the truth about the thrust levers.

I understand that many pilots were against the introduction of CVR but these are now accepted as being helpful in saving lives. Cameras will follow this route.

PBL's excellent setting out of 'Modes' made me remember that we all operate in Modes every minute of the day. Sometimes these come into conflict and/or confusion. We might be doing our regular job but, when we walk out of the office we change Mode.

If your work is to be a teacher, you may have to exert discipline towards a student, even when your own Mode is pushing you to act like a parent. You have to decide which Mode is in force and balance them, perhaps using some experience as a parent to be a better teacher. If you are walking in the High Street as a parent but a student greets you - you have to partially change mode.

Now, I appreciate that flight Modes are exclusive to others Ground OR Air - not half and half but I thought that introducing the Human Modes (which are usually mixed!) might remind us of how we all live in Modes and constantly move between them.