PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2007, 12:39
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al Zimer,

I understood from the CVR's tanscripts that was the PF who said (@ 18:48:33) "Look this!", and not the PNF (or pilot monitoring). And this is what puzzles me. Please, follow me on this: I believe almost everybody here agree that the PF (pilot flying) is looking out, at the runway, during the flare (18:48:21).
Especially on this flight, touchdown on the right spot is crucial. Let's imagine the pilot will continue looking out during touchdown (18:48:27). So I believe the PF is still looking at the runway when he gets the call "spoilers nothing!" (18:48:29).

Where I'm trying to go is: The pilot flying has his eyes out to the runway, and has his hands (and feet) on the controls. So it's not hard to imagine that when he says "Look This!" (18:48:33) , can only be two things: 1- Something ABNORMAL he sees outside (I don't think so) or, 2- Something ABNORMAL he feels on the controls.

Now, let's imagine he had his right hand on only one TL (left). He reduced this TL to idle, then reverse. It worked fine, so what he "felt" on the controls that was so ABNORMAL, to the point he exclaims "look this"?

Let's imagine now that he had his right hand on both TLs and he is looking out to the runway. He reduced both TLs to idle, but "feels" something ABNORMAL with the TLs, thus the exclamation "Look this!"

His exclamation (look this) really puzzles me. If this exclamation had come from the pilot monitoring, this could mean many things. But coming from the PF, in a critical phase of flight when the PF is "only" looking out to the runway and "feeling" the controls, this tells me something happened with the TLs.

Thanks for your patience.

Rob