PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changes to PME/Fitness test
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2007, 12:31
cornish-stormrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would I prefer a fit pilot or a good pilot???

I want one who is both. When I had my backseat trip I was at my fittest and came out looking like a sweaty bag of sh!te. Pilot in front who scared me half to death had a light sheen of perspiration, all through the G manouevers etc I was grunting and straining like a pig, pilot chatting away nice and calm.......

I was way above the fitness test level and doing hours of exercise a week yet I know said pilot was better at his job than I and he was close to the seat top weight limit wearing all his flying kit.

Fitness is subjective, Yes.

If their airships want to improve fitness they can allow for time to do it and motivate the troops positively (not chosen to do this) or they can make a noise and expect you to do it in your own time. I think they have picked this route.

But if they have chosen this way then they can...
a) expect a backlash from those unwilling to get fit.
b) Expect those that are fit (or fairly so) to ask about things like time to do it and incentives.
c) expect a lot of smug narcissistic gym queens to spout all manner of tripe with a wide variance in statistics and analysis to back it up.
d) look forward to a rise in injuries as the tubby bloaters who would like to change go out and try to get fit with no training and supervision and get hurt.
e) overburden the failed mil medical system even further.

I am not trying to dispute the be fitter live longer ethos, nor try to find excuses for the lazyboys but it seems that most of the postings on fitness related threads are from those det doging gym queens. would a fitter air force be a good thing?? YES

Does there need to be a set standard for going to the sandpit. Yes/No delete as applicable.

Is the RAF under manned/funded/moraled/equipped/led/supported?
delete as applicable.

In that case I submit they rectify the bigger issues rather than moaning on about fitness and dividing the troops opinion further.

I notice toddbabe hasn't replied, here's hoping he/she/it (don't know so given all the options) is actually earning what my taxes pay for....

Fly Safe