PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA Pilots leaving ??
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2007, 11:36
Beta Light

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antman I think you are correct in the fact that it is not “Apple’s / Apple’s “comparisons. I know the high tax in S.A. make the pre tax figures look good. According to the Sunday Times on the 19th August the cost of living in S.A. is set to increase drastically over the next couple of years. Half percent interest rate to come in October, on top of the one a month ago.
My parents are pensioners and they feel it every month.
The difference is that if you have your heart set on leaving and you surround yourself with like minded colleagues,you add fuel to each others fires, get yourselves all worked up to the point where you are miss some of the good stuff around you.
A couple of my friends in S.A.A. are looking, not by choice but by the fact that they don’t see a medium or long term future at S.A.A. They are not negative, just very realistic to what is happening. One of them have been on some sort of “New Captain meet and greet” with management a couple of months ago, was verbally told Command would start in August, (his date of joining was 1995) It has now been postponed indefinitely due to the 747-400 Captains being redeployed.
We ran the CX Freighter figures and it is a good proposition, keeping in mind he can ask for Command upgrade after a year on the 400. The CX crews are negotiating for better conditions while S.A.A. will see conditions slide.
Rather cut the losses now then fighting the crowd in 4 years seems to be the general feeling. The end of the year will tell when the new conditions will be known. EY is starting an A320 operation and I know of 3 Captains who have been invited to interviews.
Sorry friend, think in money terms ur way behind. Also would rather live in Waterkloof Ridge than Jumeira
Not sure if your figures is correct, but this will definitely not be the case over the next 10 years.
Let’s not going on the “living in Waterkloof Ridge debate”. The last two S.A. Newspapers I read out of JNB (20th Aug) was The STAR headline: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH (in bald letters)
The BEELD: BLOEBAD (bloodbath) IN PRETORIA. This referred to the murders in Brooklyn , around the corner from Waterkloof, in high security complexes.
Yes, the CX boys are comlpaining, but did you listen to what they complain about?? Complaining with cake in their mouths. But I guess if the company show record profits, with heaps of new aircraft on order you have a right to make demands. I flew with a couple of ex -SAA guys and non of them would think of going back, even though they are part of the whingers.

Last edited by Beta Light; 28th Aug 2007 at 11:54.