PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extendible Main Rotors
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2007, 02:07
henshaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Info

This is good intelligent information. Thank you very much. If I may...

I see the extendible blade in its full extension and most fine pitch (default) at liftoff. This could possibly allow a greater weight carrying capacity at slow speed or no speed liftoff portions of flight. There would be no concern of Nr/torque as we're still on the ground and we liftoff only when proper Nr/torque is available.

For forward higher speed flight one would retract the blades for transition. This would provide the result of faster Nr as you retract inward which I would think is desirable???

Further when one would want to reduce lift (descend) and reduce Nr they would extend the blades and go back to fine pitch most similar to constant speed props for landing fixed wing a/c. There would be that immediate reduction in lift as described above along with a settling of forces as time dragged on. Not unlike the effect of flaps retracting-extending on a fixed wing aircraft.

In thinking of similes here, I wonder how fixed wing pilots first felt about flaps? They slow you down but they alter lift and pitch therefore requiring correction in flight. The corollary holds true after takeoff.

Having said the above and after reading and understanding your comments (I sincerely hope) am I missing something in this description please? Does this not make sense in the sequence of events as described?