PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Staff retention essential but business owners not prepared to pay for it!
Old 27th Aug 2007, 22:57
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Aircraft, yet again you get something completely wrong, in this case, the supply demand relationship (like most people)

The Supply Demand relationship relates the price people are willing to pay to the propensity of people to supply what they want to buy, not the other way around.

By your twisted logic, economic growth is impossible because by definition you are saying that all pay rises have to come at the expense of someone else, which is twaddle.

What started this thread was the assertion that companies cannot find qualified pilots at the prices that the company is willing to pay - which is a correct assertion of the supply/demand relationship.

Qantas must therefore raise the price it is willing to pay pilots in order to obtain its required supply of pilots.

The old employers lament is "I can't get any staff!", when what they are really saying is "I can't get any staff who are prepared to work for me for what I want to pay them."

As for the company perspective, if you cannot afford to pay for the labor you require to compete with your competitors, and yet they can, then you must be an incompetent manager, all other things being equal, and you deserve to go out of business.

Hint: Pay me $500,000 dollars per annum, and I will cheerfully drive a garbage truck all day every day (barring weekends)
Errrr, No!

Last edited by Sunfish; 27th Aug 2007 at 23:30.