PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC: Right turn in final.. for faster plane behind??
Old 27th Aug 2007, 22:43
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat
Just a couple of weeks after the publication of an accident report, taking the original post at face value we have some other ATC unit doing exactly the same thing. Don't ATC read accident reports like wot pilots do then??
Originally Posted by Saab Dastard
I doubt that many pilots / ATCOs read accident reports outside of their own country.
I am led to believe that the relevant recommendation in the AAIB report on the incident at Southend in July 2006, namely:

Safety Recommendation 2007-037
The Civil Aviation Authority should amend MATS Part 1 so that, with the exception of issuing instructions to go‑around, controllers shall not issue instructions that would require an aircraft in the final stages of approaching to land to deviate from its expected flight path unless exceptional overriding safety considerations apply.

may well be reflected in the next amendment of CAP 493 MATS Part 1, which I understand is due for publication in November 2007. As this is still several months away, it has been suggested that it should also be reflected in an ATSIN in the meanwhile.

So, encouraging news ...

JD