PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - help
Thread: help
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2007, 15:19
chileno 777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Jonny,

I had the same terrible doubt.
I am from Chile, 32 years old with one year old daughter, have a supportive family and with a big passion of flying. I wanted to be a pilot since I was 16 years old but due to financial constraints and family problems had to postpone my dream. Went to college graduated from university and have worked in marketing since then. Currently I am working in Africa for a multinational company in the sales department. The salary is not great but also is not bad and I have been torturing myself with the same question for almost 2 years: to try or to not try being a pilot???? So I decided to do it (even knowing that will have to sell my house in Chile to pay for the training). Why? Because:
  • I love aviation: It is in my blood, in my veins...well it is a felling that I can’t explain.
  • I have worked for 6/7 years in several types of desk-jobs and I do NOT like it. I can’t stand being in front of a computer 8 hrs per day. (I tried but I don’t like it).
  • I decided to give it a try because I do not want to regret for the rest of my life for not trying to pursuit my dream.
My advise is:
  • If you have the money,
  • have a very supportive family and wife,
  • are absolute passionate about aviation,
  • willing to do some sacrifice in order to pursuit your dream before and after obtaining your CPL (start from the scratch, relocate, probably at the beginning you will earn less money than your current job)
  • being aware that maybe (due to our age) will not make it into an major airline (don’t worry because aviation is not only the big airlines)
  • and willing to work hard very hard then: DO IT!!!!!
I am planning to start my CPL in South Africa (cheap and very good flight training).
I have to confess that since I made the decision I am a happier human being.

Wish you the best with your decision.

Chileno777

Note: My mother tongue it is not the English language so my apologies if I made grammar mistakes.