PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Shortage.
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2007, 14:00
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My PPL(A) test was 1991, CPL(A) was 1992, so that seems to qualify me as one of those uber-pilots who you think are so much better than the yoof of today. In fact, of course, we were no better or worse then than the PPLs/CPLs being trained today.
You are of course entitled to your opinion and you may even be one of the "exceptions" that I mentioned. But then you need to look back at least another decade or more before your time to be even able to compare!

My PPL & CPL were both obtained in the mid '60's, so obviously we are from different worlds. I had been instructing for 20yrs when you did your CPL and with all due respect it is my opinion based on experience and seeing the product change at the end of the sausage machine. The rot had set in even before your time! We are now in at least the 3rd or 4th generation of a breed of instructors that really don't know what they don't know and as a result then don't teach the things they don't know! Even many FOIs and airline C&Ters are in that boat. In the airlines, it is sound and strick SOPS that save the day. Standardisation if you like! Sadly it is missing from many schools and many GA organisations.

The most obvious one to compare over the years is "airmanship". There is certainly a very different view and priority given to such teachings these days.

But as another poster said
1. solid training,
2. a mature attitude,
is a good place to start. But he failed to mention "standardisation" which is were the regulator and others don't seem to see is missing these days!