PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age
Thread: Age
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2007, 12:19
psyan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

WG tapped away in annoyance: "Go on then, ATFQ!! And then answer this .... if a commercially qualified pilot is deemed medically fit enough to instruct trial lessons at age 65, why is he not fit enough to take a pleasure flight? Eh?"

Instructing/trial lessons is one thing, undertaking commercial activities is entirely another in the practical sense. The trend is not to legislate for every single variation but to do so en-mass within defined parameters. The current feeling is that [as another poster pointed out] that beyond a certain age [right or wrong] there is a higher incidence of sudden medical problems. Now tell me that isn't so.

"
You retire at whichever age you wish. Is it any skin off your nose if someone wants to keep flying?"

Nope certainly not sunshine, you or anyone else keep at it until you get fed up. From my own point of view, [I am 56] I'd like to retire as soon as I am able to. But I have been more fortunate than most having been in the flying game since 75.

The simple fact is that this whole subject is not about ageism or kicking out the old farts its about trying to do the best for public safety. Surely you can see that? It might not be the best way and may very well need adjusting to reflect more current trends but it aint going to happen in my flight lifetime.

I once [not too long ago] knew of an 'old' commercial pilot who persistently failed to fully check his aircraft simply because he physically was not able to do the climbing thing. Thankfully he is no longer employed in a commercial environment.

Check calmly wibbled:"
I was going to react to the comments by Pysan and MC, but then decided to have a cup of tea - more pleasure in that!"

Apparently not enough

I then thought how sad it was that these two individuals and perhaps others have completely missed the point of the argument. What is being asked is for the right, should we wish, to continue flying when being fully qualified and meeting the medical standards beyond the current cut off date."

No the point is not missed.

"This request does not mean all pilots must continue to the bitter end."

Assuming there was some form of enforcement?

"Many will wish to retire at 55 other 58, 60, or even to state pension age - whatever that will be. Each individual is entitled to live his or her life as they choose without some plonker saying they shouldn't."

I agree but providing that in doing so you do not affect others rights.

".......for a few it is life."

Sad

"To MC and Pyson and those others who subscribe to their blinkered approach to life - I suggest they get a life, remove the chip on their shoulder and allow others to live their lives as they wish. After all we are only here once."

LOL how on earth do you perceive that I am affecting your life or others? I have no chip that I am aware of. My approach to life is far from what you might imagine. We are all entitled to our opinions are we not? You seem to subscribe to that ideal. Or have I got that wrong as well.

It's only a game m'dear

Best Wishes