PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cdr 'Sharkey'Ward RN
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2007, 09:03
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mstjbrown I agree re spelling - touche...

I certainly did not mean to undermine Beagle's or anyone else's post - but I did think we were supposed to discuss points of view here ?

I must say I get more than a hint of " not one of the in crowd " - officer's messes are not a great way to judge people...so effectively disregards if Sharkey was effective in role or not.

As a separate item not particularly involving Sharkey, " The Secret War For The Falklands " by Nigel West is worth a go, though my girlfriend would kill me for saying that as he was an annoying prat during her previous husband's spy scandal ! As far as I can make out he ( not N.West ) was innocent - and as a military aircraft photographer I'm on shaky ground for that as well as my spelling.

For what it's worth, I agree with the comment re. Yeager - as far as I can make out his great skill to get to Mach 1 was being either brave or daft enough to hang on - & his interview by J.Clarkson revealed a pretty unlikable character - " The Spitfire was a pony-arsed airplane "

Well I wouldn't mind seeing a turning fight between a Mk9 & a Mustang; then again who was it who dropped his tanks & tried shooting them for fun, when the rest of his squadron was in one of the largest fights at the end of WW2 ?!

Thread drift, hat, coat...

Last edited by Double Zero; 27th Aug 2007 at 09:22.