PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2007, 08:38
jbflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flip side of the coin...

In response to Just Want to Fly,
I am a CSS and wanted to reassure you that hard work is never overlooked. Just because a CSS/FSM hasn't been able to give you as much feedback as you'd like, it doesn't mean you have been misjudged by an arrogant or lazy onboard manager. If you take a look at the critiques, the standard of performance required to be scored as "meets" is very high. I think that many crew have unrealistic ideals as to what denotes "meets" and what therefore is deemed "exceeds" and "outstanding." On top if this, crew are expecting to be promoted fairly quickly and when this doesn't happen it makes people demotivated. Think realistically about how/where your performance fits into the performance critiques, is what you are doing really an "exceeds" or are you just doing your job and therefore meeting what is required of you. Often some crew are not meeting what is required, but get scored as "meets" which is incorrect. There is a stigma attached to "NI" and to be honest, is anyone really that good at their job 100% of the time?
To put things into some sort of perspective, I was CC for 3.5 years before being promoted to Senior. The promotion system was slightly different but it wasn't unusual to be "down the back" for 3 years.
What I would say is that your FSM/CSSs have a great deal of experience and a very good idea as to who/what makes a good crew member so trust their judgement.
There is a fine line between being pro active and being too pushy, so ensure your efforts are seen as they are intended and not to your detriment.
Finally, have realistic views of timescales. It is unusual to be promoted so quickly especially if you have not flown before.
Don't be disheartened, I like to think I am good at my job, as you consider yourself to be, and it's a CSSs job to recognise people like you.
Happy flying!