PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2007, 06:30
Al Zimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a SLF and long time lurker I am very hesitant to post - but here goes anyway.
Perhaps there is a problem in the thrust control mechanism that, despite the pilot retarding the TL correctly, the thrust control has stayed at the CLB level.
In post no. 1580 VAPILOT describes the control system as -
Each thrust lever is connected by a pushrod to the
input of an artificial feel unit. This unit provides friction
and the detents throughout the motion of the thrust levers.
The artificial feel unit's output shaft is connected
to the thrust control unit via a second pushrod.
Within each thrust control unit are 6 potentiometers
and 2 thrust angle resolvers.
I presume the artificial feel unit and the thrust control unit are on the same mounting.
Could this mounting have come adrift from its moorings in such a way that, as the TL is retarded the mounting is pulled (or pushed) from its position, but subsequently when the TL is advanced, the mounting is pushed (or pulled) back 'home.' Thus the second pushrod doesn't move after the time the mounting leaves its home position.
I can't recall there being any mention of what the original problem was with the thrust reverser - or when it happened. Could this have been the first time the problem occurred? Say the mounting came loose when the TL was moved from reverse idle to full reverse, and they received only idle reverse. Or if it came loose from the idle position, the reverser would not have deployed at all.
This also explains why in the last three landings there have been apparently three different ways of handling the TL, while probably the pilots followed SOPs.
One problem though. If this is the case, there would be no feedback from the artificial feel unit to the TL once the mounting has left home. Would this be noticed by the pilot? Take into account the faulty TL is being moved in unison with the good TL which is receiving feedback, and this was occurring at the busiest part of the flight.
When the PNF called "look this", was he showing the PF that the TL could be moved without resistance?