PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Tank: Water Draining sometimes "difficult"
Old 26th Aug 2007, 19:30
jettison valve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, thanks for your answers!

mitzy69:
What you describe is valid for the Boeings, not for the Airbusses I have worked on so far. Airbus UK state that they would have certification problems in Europe with a Boeing system (i. e. inject the scavenged fluid next to the boost pumps). In detail, the A330/A340 classic system sucks fluid from almost the deepest point (avoids freezing) and delivers it back to the tank (Airbus calls this a "water mixing" system" in order to "keep the water in suspension").
B747s/B777s have the superior system that you describe. Very effective, apparently.

FMU:
Supposing that you operate the A330 on ETOPS routes (and you need to comply with the CMP per CASA order), you havnīt drained the tanks in the last seven days, and you have a short ground time today - do you defer the draining (in my point of view not possible) or do you run into a delay or... ?

Terraplaneblues:
The MRBR / MPD are ok, just as you say ("operators experience"). On the A340 classic, weīve started escalating the task interval for wings, and for the trim we have had good experience with 2A. The whole madness starts with the CMP for ETOPS operations.

spannersatcx:
Contrary to you, we have a cold home base. In order to meet authority requirements and to give a least a little sense to the drain excercise, you need to have a warm tank / wing. In winter over here, you can achieve that by grounding the a/c in a warm hangar for several hours , or refuel with comparatively warm fuel (and then wait again for the stuff to settle down). Option 2 is not the optimum but better than option 1. Agree?

A345:
Technically a perfect solution, but manhours intensive and therefore expensive. And you could overrun the 7d CMP requirement for the twins, if you donīt take perfect care of the drain accomplishments individually.
In my experience, FQIS problems on the A345/A346 usually came from an initially stupid then over-engineered (Parker) software, harness issues, failed terminal lugs, and only to a small extent due to water (had a few weeks long nightmare with a production fault at Airbus in that respect, I must admit though).

Beaver man:
Got showered and still smell...?

LandASAP:
Thatīs our compromise as well. Plan a several hours downtime for the A330 weekly (), refuel to the minimum fuel in our network, wait, wait, wait - drain, and sign off.

Thanks again for your advice!
J.V.