PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAX trying to use his mobile phone - was I right or wrong?
Old 26th Aug 2007, 18:01
13Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are three main reasons why I don't use my mobile phone on planes:

1. I've been told not to. The pilot is in command of the aircraft, and by law I must follow his or her instructions, and, by extension, those of the cabin crew.

2. My employer might think I'm important enough to routinely pay several thousand pounds to fly me across the world, but when I'm on an airliner I'm in an environment I don't fully understand, and as with any other alien environment it's probably in my best interests to follow the instructions of those who designed that environment or were trained for and spend their working lives in it.

3. I might not have any detailed technical understanding of the factors which lead mobile use on phones to be banned, but I can hear for myself the interference caused when my switched-on mobile is next to a radio, telephone, television. There have been instances of airliners crashing due in part to inadequate, missed or misunderstood communications between pilots and ATC (a terrible crash in Tenerife in 1974 being a prime example). I don't want my mobile to add to that risk.

And I'm quite keen on my fellow pax in 13B and 13C not adding to it either. So chrissw, you've got my full support.

13Alpha