PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fright Of My Life
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2007, 10:31
Contract Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job to you and your captain Zaz, I remember having it once in the Delta in a C206 (a lot smaller and less pax but the effect on me was the same) There were isolated storms all around and I had joined overhead to check the windsock, it was indicating 17 so I took rwy 17, there was a storm about 15nm to the south and a huge dark cloud betwene the storm and the strip (to the north was clear) being a 600hr pilot at the time, I didnt even think to analize what I was seeing and decided to land 17 from the storm side, it all went fine untill about 300ft when it felt like god himself came down and smacked the a/c from above. we dropped like a stone with 0 airspeed, I fire walled her and started the go round, I had full power in and the stick in my chest trying to climb out but was still dropping, unintentionally, i touched down with full power/climb attitude about 2M short of the runway, thank god it was not too rough there. I closed power and rolled down the runway shaking like a leaf, as I rolled past the windsock it was pointing down 35 and standin errect! Got out, still shaking and went to have a smoke to calm my nerves, before i had a chance to finish it it started pissing down.

I learnt that day, If the wind is blowing into a cell, it is going to change direction 180 deg and violently when the gust front hits or the rain starts to fall out and entrain the air down with it, since then, I have always landed with the storm in front of me.

Safe flying

Dog