PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharjah. OLD airport
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2007, 09:27
l.garey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the jebel

Another beautiful picture. We obviously have the same feeling for spots to take good photos.
In general the people of Oman are still very friendly and hospitable. We often used to go into the desert near Buraimi at weekends, and we were always welcome at the house of one old Omani (in fact he looked about 90, but when he died last year he was only about 60 it seems) and his sister who always had coffee to offer. You could not refuse, until you had had 3 cups. And of course dates galore.
I wonder if the Saiq strip you used is the one I mention in my article that is now an army camp and on which there is a wrecked Huey. It is about a km from the Venom.
http://l.garey2.googlepages.com/home

I did not know about the well. We have done quite a bit of walking along the top of the Jebel. There are still remote abandoned villages up there, but it needs a bit a head for heights.

Maybe I forgot to ask you: The photo you showed of a Twinpin at Buraimi: was it your photo? Also the famous one on its nose at Sir Abu Nair (XM939), and another I have seen taken at Ibri (XM959 "B") (the one at Buraimi is also "B", so maybe XM959 too): were they yours? I think they were on airliners.net also.