PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airborne medics save lives
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2007, 21:47
Another Old Git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh well, I really should know better but here goes. Head above parapet....begin.
The word Doctor can be a little generic in use as can the term Pilot.
I am sure that I could find enough PPL pilots to fly my aircraft for 365 days of the year on their days off at a cost to me of....Nil (Well no, but bear with me for the sake of example). Some of their standards might be very high.
Alternatively I might just pay for 3 full time CPL or ATPL holders with the right background and experience such as is often debated on this forum.
The cost to me has to include not just 3 line pilot salaries but the training, equipment, CP, TRE etc. The total costs to me are pretty high, but you get what you pay for.
Now, when that gynaecologist approaches me with their latex gloves twanging on their wrist I might just welcome their approach depending on my situation. Alternatively, if it is to remove my brain tumour, then thanks but I would rather the neuro surgeon started from the north pole and not the south!
The figure of up to £300,000 per anum is the estimated total cost to a charity to employ a full time, fully HEMS and Pre Hospital Care trained doctor who is supervised on a 1:1 ratio of clinical governance by a qualified PHC HEMS Consultant with guaranteed immediate advisory access, HEMS crewmember qualified and PPE equiped, 365 days a year.
As with the line pilot, 3 times basic salary is not the final figure, its all the other on costs.
The launch of the charter is an attempt to try and suggest a gold standard to work to. No one claims it is the only one, or even the right one, but it is a start.

BTW I totally agree with TTT whose conclusion was spot on.

I have had the privilege of working with a whole variety of HEMS teams that include many mixtures.
Police Observer /Paramedic
Technician / Paramedic
Basics Doctor / Paramedic
HEMS Doctor / Paramedic
Perhaps I should include Winchman / Paramedic to complete the possibilities.

If my life were hanging on a thread then I would be a lucky person to see any of those teams turn up, who all make a valuable contribution to the HEMS world.

IMHO the strongest team of all would be a trained HEMS Doctor partnering a HEMS Paramedic, (or very soon CCP) who had the abilty to intervene when needed and fly me straight to the most appropriate place for treatment (not the nearest DGH please!). That combination of skills is world class.

Now back below the parapet. I really should have known better.