PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cdr 'Sharkey'Ward RN
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2007, 09:52
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank goodness. Someone from the force said it, when a Journo would rightly be castigated for initiating criticism of such a disinguished bloke.

I'm not one for building people up and then demolishing them for no real reason, but what Moe says does chime with a lot of what you hear around the bazaars.

He obviously achieved a huge amount, and was a successful SHar pilot, and on that basis alone I'm not fit to lick his boots. He also writes very well, if you put aside the content. His dedication to his blokes must have made him a good Squadron CO, too, I'm sure.

But he has said and written some appalling things about his fellow professionals, many of whom were his equals (if not his betters). Anyone would think that he won the Falklands War single-handed, and that the other SHar unit down there (who got more kills, and whose kills didn't include a sitting duck Hercules) were incompetent non-achievers.

Arrogance and ego are a must-have for a fighter pilot, but they do need to be leavened with just a tiny bit of humility and generosity of spirit towards one's comrades in arms and won wonders if Sharkey had that in sufficient measure to balance his larger than life ego?