PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Blue on Blue
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2007, 06:25
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Every time a tragedy like this happens we see speculation. Talk of IFF. Lack of interoperability with allies. MoD policy is consistent and clear. On IFF, it may be fitted but it does not have to be integrated properly so that it actually works, in effect rendering the platform unfit for purpose. See Tornado / Patriot thread. (For the purposes of the DIN, this has been reiterated numerous times under FOI, twice this year to my knowledge). I know, I’m using an airborne example, but it illustrates the higher level attitudes toward safety and protecting our Servicemen. And, in my opinion, interoperability with our own forces is a poorly funded aspiration; interoperability with other countries, if it occurs, is largely co-incidental. An aspiration does not become policy until properly funded.

My sincere condolences to the families. But, like the Tornado incident above, and others, it may well have been an accident on the day, in the heat of battle, but dig deeper and key elements will have been predictable, predicted and ignored. In precise detail.