PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC 50th birthday, looking for 50 cracking good stories
Old 24th Aug 2007, 23:13
Regain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still in my Gazelle days and another op somewhere abroad:

Tasked to take Hereford chap round some of the more remote bazaas doing his security advisor bit. Eventually we find one site and even manage to get them on the radio, have the HLS described to us, recce it, decide that with it being deep in snow, on a slope and into sun I'd better do the landing. Let me just add that my driver was more than capable but I thought it the decent thing to do. So in we go. Quite a tricky landing but after a few re-positions I managed to bed it in and shut down. No problem. Out we get and walk out of the field and over the fence with the red triangles! Yep, minefield. Behind us.

A hushed conversation follows during which we decide that if we retrace our steps when leaving we should be alright.

So we meet our hosts and find out, yes it's really mined and no, we shouldn't have landed there. Anyway, with my back to the aircraft, I see my somewhat taller than me pilot's jaw drop. I turn round to see our helicopter sliding backwards down the (mine)field towards the ditch at the back. My world slowed down, expecting to see it either explode or fall off the edge or both. Obviously it didn't or you'd have heard of it but remember the coach in The Italian Job?

Deciding that I'd rather be blown up than call it in, I can't remember whether we both went or just myself but back along my footprints I went and along the skid marks(!) and into the cockpit. It levelled and I took off, re-positioning to where we should have landed.

Another one we got away with. Becoming quite a confessional this. Why can't I hit that submit reply button? Oh, go on then.