PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Failed Simcheck
Thread: Failed Simcheck
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2007, 21:48
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brie -
xxx
I dont know your specific circumstances. A failed sim check is generally not because of a single problem, but maybe a combination of various factors...
xxx
As an "old hand" in airline instruction with thousands of hours of simulator and line instruction, most failures of newly hired pilots (who often are competent CPL/IR/ME or even ATPL) are the "jet transition". They can fly a propeller aircraft obviously well, reciprocating or turboprop power, but handling a jet is different. It is not more difficult, merely different.
xxx
Example -
In simulator evaluation (I do that with 737-200 simulators), I often see competent propeller pilot asked to reduce speed from 300 to 200... with their propeller aircraft background, they often will just make a "slight power" reduction of "1 knob" on the thrust levers... whereas the proper technique is to go to full idle thrust in a jet... remember, propellers provide drag in power reductions, not so with jets... I see propeller pilots attempting to increase a rate of descent on a glide slope by... power reduction...! They might not know that a glide slope adjustment is flown primarily with pitch trim, and that power is strictly speed in a jet...
xxx
I would say that the "jet transition" is a problem that young pilots should address after obtaining their CPL/IR/ME... a quick fix would be an inexpensive CE-500 Citation type rating, which would give you some idea as to how a jet aircraft is flown, and concept of MCC and CRM...
xxx
Brie, t'en fais pas trop, tâche de t'informer sur les raisons de ton échec. Si un de "mes gars" ne passe pas, je lui donne une seconde chance, et si nécessaire, 1 ou 2 heures de sim en plus... Bonne chance à toi -
xxx

Happy contrails