PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC 50th birthday, looking for 50 cracking good stories
Old 24th Aug 2007, 17:52
hihover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Falklands 1987.

I was sent there just as the Corps was pulling out so it was a very happy time for us all.

One day, I was invited by a rather angry OC to explain to him an episode that had taken place earlier that day:

A helicopter was flying very low (wazzing) along the beach close to MPA where there were some penguins. As the aircraft approached at 10 feet 130 kts, all the penguins scrambled into the water with all the normal comic antics of a bunch of startled penguins.

Just at this point, the pilot noticed 2 people stand up in the long grass waving their arms and realised that they had been crawling on their bellies to get close enough for some good photies. He realised that he had disrupted their plan so he kindly went out to sea and tried to herd the penguins back onshore.

Of course, the penguins were now petrified and took to the depths and in all directions, making the incident even more the cock-up and the last place the penguins wanted to be was back on that beach.

The OC was visibly upset, the two photographers were Comd BFFI (high up Navy) and a visiting General. Both had crawled for 45 minutes to get that close and neither was impressed nor forgiving and the OC had to deliver the culprit. And until the culprit was delivered, the OC's parts were in a vice.

"Well sir, I'm not a squealer, but there were only two of us airborne today, me and the Major QHI, and it wasn't me!"

A very embarrassed Major QHI had to go and explain his antics to the Commander.

Laugh - I nearly passed my toffees around.