PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bond/OAT "Sponsorship"
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2007, 16:24
manfromuncle

At the risk of going slightly off-topic...

I think the UK PPL/CPL training system is a joke now. Everyone buggers off abroad, and either stays there, or come back and convert their licence, and/or go the IR/North Sea route. Most people that do their PPL/CPL in the UK are ones with family/work commitments to the UK, and who can't take months off work to train abroad. Everyone knows it's MUCH cheaper abroad, and flight schools that poo-poo training abroad are just bitter about not being able to compete on cost, the "only us brits know how to fly, the radio/airspace over here is much harder etc" attitude that is around doesn't help either.

Compared to years ago (when you could do your own self-study CPL groundschool for £500, as oppose to £3,500 these days) and be an FI with just a PPL+200 hours) there are hardly any new instructors coming through because you simply can't make a half decent living as an instructor (£60k investment for £17k a year 'salary'), and you generally get treated pretty badly.

It's very sad. But I think we have over-regulation and over-cost here in the UK. Even discounting the loony CAA charges, things like landing fees/circuit fees/fuel surcharges/exam fees/membership fees etc just put people off training in the UK. Why spend £17,000 your PPL when you can spend £12,000?

By the way, I speak as a professional heli pilot who has trained/worked/taught in the US and UK over the last few years.