PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No really, I want to be a FI! BUT....
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2007, 11:38
Nibbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No really, I want to be a FI! BUT....

That's right i really want to be a FI. A quick coment to vector some replies away [ I know you were reaching for your keyboard as soon as you started to read this! ]

LOW FI PAY issue.
I'm planning for low pay in the early years. As with any other job, you've got to start somewhere. Why should schools pay top rates for ATPL 'hour builders' who leave as soon as they can - who exactly is getting all the long term benefits, not the school. To be taken 'seriously' as an FI, with the associated financial rewards, the word 'experienced' comes to mind.

I'd like to train full time with the same school from PPL through CPL/IR to FI then work in the UK initially in GA. I've got about £30-40K for the whole thing including hour building up to the issue of the FI certificate.

I would like to complete in 18 months or so. I'm 40 with wife and 2 young FODs.

I have limited flying experience with some 5 solos in gliders and 18 hours aerobatic in SEP.

BUT I'm in the balance about what route I should take and some advice would be appreciated.

USA or UK and, in either case, which school would you suggest? Obviously able to relocate anywhere [ wife is willing and I can beat the kids in a fair fight! ].

Anyone know if it's possible for my wife and kids be able to get a Visa for the US for as long as I am a student?

Time - is 18 months realistic?

Money - is £30-£40k enough?

One small bit of good news is that I just got offered a basic pay ground job at a flying school in the UK.... So the UK might be a stonger contender if I can't get my family a US Visa or my time / money calculations are wrong - now my brain is pickled!

Help, advice, thoughts - ANYTHING would be appreciated!!

Cheers in advance.