PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus Pilots to Strike
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2007, 11:19
CaptKremin

capt kremin, what i said was how many journalists actually strike, not how many journalists threaten to strike
O yeah? So why are you hopping on the pilots for just 'threatening' to strike? Did a strike occur? More hypocrisy and double speak.

So for the record, the journalists who balloted over the pension stakes did not strike (and they're the same regional journalists you mention down below), the belfast telegraph journalists are not in teh ROI (though as far as i'm aware they didn't strike either), the RNAI journalists (the regional ones again) didn't strike either, that link you have about the Indo's northern journalists is actually the same dispute as the belfast telegraph and Indo Ireland staff didn't have any industrial action either.
And again, for the record, the pilots did not strike either, and the new hire pilots are to be based in Belfast, which is in NI, therefore this dispute is a Cross Border one, and the reference to NI is therefore pertinent.
By the way, the NUJ represents hacks in both GB and Ireland, therefore I presume the GB and ROI members of the NUJ supported the strikes by their friends in the Belfast Telegraph (unless their self serving hypocrisy wouldn't stretch even that far!).

you've not provided me with a single example of journalists actually striking here.
Actually I did, but you just didn't bother reading, did you?
I posted this link to a Wikipedia article on the Irish Press strike, where the hacks not only WENT on strike, they actually stayed out for 9 months until the newspaper finally folded! Maybe you'll read it now?

what you've given is a host of duplicated references none of which actually resulted in strike action. another point of clarification is that 127,000 references is a fairly meaningless number, as duplication is rampant on google, and 127,000 references could relate to 127,000 disputes or 10.
Well next, in the interests of balance, I searched Google for the key words "ireland pilots strike ialpa" and got a total of just 609 references. Compared to 127,000 I think thats illuminating for a 'fairly meaningless' number.

so, as you might say yourself "sigh" or "do your homework", or whatever other condascending phrase is de rigeur with you these days. you come on here and present yourself as this judgemental bastion of accuracy, knocking down the contribution of anyone who doesnt' share your (fairly narrow) piont of view. given how critical you are of the press and their lack of research and accuracy, seems bizarre that your own research and arguments are so blatantly factually flawed.
Whatever.
Your argument is clearly the ignorant one.
Are you a journo? If so please note that 'condascending'(sic) has no 'a' in it. Tsk Tsk.

According to the website prospective Captains do not have to have any jet experience for Belfast base. 1000 hours command turboprop and away you go, here is a nice new A-320. Makes FR look safe. But that's ok, the "market" said so
Its the only way they're going to get applicants. So much for the arguments that 'foreign' pilots will work for a 'fair salary'. They obviously aren't too confident about that!