PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2007, 09:07
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, well....

I guess you guys are just going to have to manage without me!
That Bristow Lagos contract that was 'in the mail' never did show up. Now it seems that the fellah I was speaking with must have mis-spoke, so that it has all turned out to be just a beautiful dream, making double the money for just a slightly increased risk of having my po-po shot off. From what I am reading here, that might be just as well.

Algeria is locked down tight, with strict controls on weapons, plus I am based way out in the middle of nowhere so that the bad guys will have quite a hike before they can get to me. Still, sh*t does happen, so that I was ready to try my luck again with Nigeria despite the bad news.

You should see some of the critters that live here in the desert, particularly the so-called camel spiders. I had a pair take up residence in a chock. When I pulled the chocks on my pre-flight there they were, doing some sort of eight-legged Bruce Lee number. Their bite causes your flesh to rot, sort of like an aviation manager's.

Due to the long distances involved this is a largely helicopter-free environment. There is one 206L here at Hassi Messaoud that does pipeline inspection, I guess, and a couple of ground attack Mil-14s (It looks like a Mil-8 with stub wings. I think I got the type right but I am not actually an anorak.) at El Golea that just sit out there on the ramp but that's about it.

Sorry that I won't be back any time soon, if ever, for the craic at the BRC Bar but that is life. Keep your heads down!