PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAX trying to use his mobile phone - was I right or wrong?
Old 24th Aug 2007, 01:37
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
strake
However, the fact remains that 99.99% of all aircraft journeys take place with out fuss or any form of danger. That's way above busses and trains who just leave us alone with our risk.
Yes indeed they do. The rules of safety instruction are still, largely, in place from when flying was very dangerous and rules were taken on from boats. On boats they have lifeboat drill and we get 'life jackets under your seats' drill. No one is going to tell the carriers to stop doing this and, if anyone in authority DID, then 99% of airlines would continue doing it.

Strake, where you quote the story (via Google) it includes the statement
Approval by the European Aviation Safety Agency means that, from September, passengers aboard Airbus aircraft outfitted with the OnAir system will be able to send and receive phone calls ...
The OnAir system is, once again, integrated with the aircraft electrical and electronic systems, using aerials that are known quantities.

The cabin will have a series of Pico Cells, which are mini base stations. When given permission by the CC to switch on mobiles, the phones will 'find' this base station and it will handle all calls through special equipment that will be electrically shielded from the rest of the aircraft systems (Faraday cage).

The phones will work at low power. The system will only connect calls if the a.c is above 3,000m. At other times, as I understand what I read in technical press a couple of years ago, the Pico Cell will be active but will block calls. This means that a passengers mobile (cell) phone will register to the on board base station but not be able to make or receive calls, thus 'trapping' any phone that is on. Other refinements may also be in place. These systems have been thoroughly tested by the aircraft manufacturers and all involved.

So, I don't think that I am giving
uninformed nonsense that perpetuates the myth.
Do I want these Pico cells on a/c in which I am travelling? No.
Do I want people talking on their effing mobiles? No.