PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 21:18
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WE Branch Fanatic,

you are not alone ! I despair when I see patrol vessels, quite decent sized, without even a serious gun or more importantly helicopter facilities.

I suspect we are heading into a dark time, we've had our bit of peace - aged 45 I've never known war thanks to the efforts of my dad ( still with us ) & his compatriots - I'm a civilian though spent 14 years working on military aircraft trials.

With the appearance of the new Russian sub etc, they & China getting uppity, and our forces stretched in the meantime, things don't look so good.

If anyone has brains at all, we need to invest in the Navy and forces in general ( pardon the pun ) - accelerate CVF & get more not less T45 - pronto as well as helo & tanker / airlift boosted.

I'm all for more hospitals etc, not closing down the ones we've got, but no-one can kid me this country can't afford both if funds aren't squandered.

It was interesting to hear that the inheritance tax could be dumped ( I happen to agree with the idea ) as it " only raises the small sum of £4 billion P.A. " - isn't that about what CVF is costing, so presumably that's small beer too ?!

In any future conflict, there will be no quick build programme for ships or aircraft - and the lack of manpower in the forces would right now be quite easily sorted, or at least moderated, by intelligent treatment of people who are not willing to live an early 20th century life.

For instance even 'old' gits like me, and more importantly experienced ex-services people I know, would be happy to join a reserve if the bloody system let us...