PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas/Jetstar no calls at Avalon
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 16:51
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No worries,
In short, most of those type of IFR/VFR conflicts will be best resolved by dropping the IFR to just below the cloudbase to get them into visual conditons. This enables resolution of the conflict by:-
- The IFR sighting the VFR (DTI whilst still vertically separated) then descending through using (the IFR) pilot asigned Visual separation, or;
- The VFR sighting the IFR (DTI whislt still vertically separated) then descending through using (the VFR) pilot asigned Visual separation, or;
- The controller can get the IFR in sight, and has the VFR in sight, and can provide visual separation for the IFR descent through the VFR (using azimuth).
the 1,000ft rule generally means there is the required 1,000ft available to facilitate the visual separation solution below the cloudbase. Of course it does not always workout that way and the IFR can be in cloud at the lowest assignable, for example
-IFR assigned A030 not below the DME STEP's, and you are in VMC at A020
.... and bugga me if the cloubbase isn't 2,900ft on QNH ... we generally will always have a plan B just in case
Generally in any arrival/departure/crossing transit type conflict the controller may (dependant on track, relative positions etc) use up to 3 different separation standards one after the other to continously reduce the actual distances between targets until a visual solution is achieved. Visual separation being the tightest of all as far as proximities go.
As for why clear of cloud in G ..... dunno .. I personally think that is daft becasue OCTA, IFR would want that breathing space below the CBase to get visual and get looking before they got up close and personal
Hope that helps ....
I'm off to the cot before me eyes fall out
Nite all