PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus Pilots to Strike
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 12:45
ihtlucy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A slightly different perspective

I've read this thread with interest and first must express my sympathy for those affected by the EI/pilots' move.

I'm in the aviation industry, but not working for an airline. I do use air travel a lot , and in particular EI.

My issue with many of the previous posts is that they miss the key point that whether we like it or not we live in a society where we are subject to market forces. Whether EI pilots like it or not, FR has been largely responsible for a massive decrease in the cost of flying and that has stimulated (in large part) the growth in passenger numbers - particularly in Ireland. This (probably) means that there are more pilots and crew - more jobs. If you take some of the views in this thread to their ultimate conclusion, EI will go out of business and you will all end up working for FR - that is simple market forces. I am a professional too, and was once a member of a union and went on strike. Now I accept that my skills have a market value and that is what I will get. As it happens my skills (I'm a Chartered Engineer) are now in increasing demand and my salary and conditions (ie my marketability) have improved. Also, if I go and live in a different place my skills will be worth more or less depending on the market.

As a passenger, I regret the pilots' proposed action, because I had to cancel my EI flight and book with FR instead. Will that mean I do the same in future? No, because I dislike the general attitude of MOL and his cohorts. It did annoy me though...(as did seeing the 44 days/yr holiday for EI pilots!).

I accept that my job is very different to a pilot's job. But, the market will win in th end...