PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharjah. OLD airport
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 10:43
brakedwell

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm sure she wasn't there during my time, because I was called out one night to collect a snake bite victim at Buraimi Fort even though my Twin Pioneer was unserviceable awaiting a new magneto from Bahrain. (Snag found during a mag check after a flight that morning). The RAF Sharjah Doctor was convinced the casualty would die without a serum injection and as he was coming with us we agreed the low risk of the second magneto failing on a 50 minute flight was justified. The doc was carrying a mixed Russell's Viper, Rock Cobra and Sand Crite serum. The casualty turned out to be a Trucial Oman Scouts' Sergeant Major who had been bitten on a finger by a Rock Cobra while hanging up an oil lamp. It was a very dark night and I would have preferred to have waited until daylight before returning to Sharjah, but the mixed serum was not working, so a decision was made to fly the casualty back ASAP for treatment at the Americam Hospital in Dubai. We climbed to the standard 5000 feet, but as I reduced power number two engine started rough running and died. We were almost half way into the seventy mile flight and the only option was to start a slow descent towards Sharjah with the remaining engine running at max power without overheating. We only just made it, landing on the sand about 100 yds short of the runway threshold, collecting a length of barbed wire in the process. The casualty was rushed to Dubai and subsequently made a full recovery, but I still got a bollocking by the Station Commander (a navigator) for flying an unserviceable aeroplane! Happy times.