PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 23:22
captseth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's Right

As a career pilot in the US and a lifelong resident, I must agree. The industry went to sh!t. There are some decent opportunities worldwide, and if the market for pilots gets tighter elsewhere, I'd go for it myself.

We are not respected here. They raid our retirements here. They steal our family health care coverage here. They use bankruptcy laws to abrogate our labor agreements here, and use our wages as a cushion for management ineptitude. And that's just the major items.

I've had the privilege of meeting a few promising young CFI's at the flight school I hang out at. A few have gone overseas to some decent positions. They have the right idea.

Why do I hang out at a flight school? Because as a 737 Capt., I have to supplement my wages in order to support my family, so I do some advanced instruction. The owner is a nice guy that doesn't mind letting me use his planes. I enjoy teaching, and it's my own deal, which I like - but it does prove a point: the good old days ended a quarter century ago. It just plane sucks now.