PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFLs before first solo?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 19:50
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle mentioned how the confidence gained from a first solo when weighed up against the possibility of an off-field precautionary landing actually occuring during first solo is a non-brainer. If you take your thinking to the logical conclusion Timzsta, you could very well teach the whole syllabus before the student ever flies the aircraft alone.

I know not of a student carrying out a forced landing away from the airfield during first solo (no doubt someone will point to one occasion tho!) although I have met one who had EFATO and executed a landing in a feild ahead which he walked away from. It is admirable that you've taken the forethought to think of a possible ugly scenario Timzsta but there comes a point where you have to let them go solo for the sake of continued progress and confidence. Those with much more experience than ourselves dictate that this happens at Ex.14, not at Ex.17.

Granted, I have taken a struggling student away from the circuit for some PFL training (under instruction from his regular instructor - not my own decision) and feel strongly that he gained no advantage either when introduced back to circuit work nor in the unlikely event that he had to carry out one during his first solo.

Until I gain much more experience in this game I intend to stick to the book as much as possible when implimenting the training - as a friend I would recommend you do too mate but it's your call at the end of the day.

VFE.