PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air New Package
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 14:09
Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the comment - time now to show management we care. Most of us have ALWAYS cared!!!!! Most are professionals and, despite how GF treated them, they always worked hard and did the best they could. Those of us that are leaving are leaving NOT because they have no loyalty but precisly because they DO - to their family!

My decision to leave was not due to the money but due to what I perceive to be a bleak or unsure future. The BOD and the government have been incredibly inconsistant in how they run and handle the airline and that makes it difficult to predict how they will operate going forward.

I would LOVE to stay and work with the new managment but the fact is I do NOT trust the BOD or government and to stay presents me with a very real risk that in a year or two or five things will fall apart. The opportunities are available in the market NOW and may not be there later on.

Of course seniority always plays a significant role in our lives so I do not have the luxury of simply waiting and seeing.

So please do not mistake leaving with a lack of loyalty - it is not even close to being accurate!!!

Secondly, the new package is EXCELLENT and, for those staying, is well deserved. But TBAY - it is not better than the EK or EY packages. Lets look at them:

1. GF and EK basic pay or pretty much identical. GF pays 6bd per flight hour and EK 4.5.

2. Housing - GF pays 600-650 depending on status. My house which I have had for 2 years is 610BD/month and it is not close to be called fancy!. Comfortable and livable - yes. That rent will be going up 60BD this year and I am sure in most years. The house 2 doors down just rented for 900 BD - same as ours. So for the new joiners or the guy who wants or has to move he will be paying out of pocket again!! EK puts you up in fantastic housing with all utilities paid.

3. Schooling - GF doesn't even compare to EK. But then not an issue if you don't have kids.

4. Retirment - GF idemnity is just not up to par. EK puts 12% of your pay (15% after 5 years) into a retirment fund that is INVESTED and grows over time. GF can't come close.

5. Fleet - no need to even try to compare.

6. Upgrade - who knows at GF. But methinks it will be a while.

7. Future - as I said above GF is so unstable at the moment that things change day by day.

8. Rostering - still controlled by the mafia and will be for the forseeable future.

9. Mafia - make no mistake - there is a group of people with good connections who will not sit back and watch 'their' airline be run by others. This is one issue that has me very concerned!!

In any case - the new package is a GIANT step forward!!!!!! I am sure there are many smiling faces around at the moment (can't see since I am on leave) and that is welcome considering how low moral has been lately. IT IS WELL DESERVED by all the crew.

Finally, if this new management can hold out then things will improve dramatically at GF. BN in doing an excellent job and watch how things speed up now that he has a VPO in position.