PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Differences learning to fly Piper PA28 / PA38
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 11:55
BigSteve81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew both early on in my training.
I flew the 28 as it was the only aircraft my local school had. When that school went pop I continued my training out of Tees Valley on the 38 until a flying school returned to Newcastle.
Despite what captain smithy says dont be fooled, they do handle very differently especially in the stall/spin (the second time i flew one I nearly stalled her on take off as i just pulled back on the yoke as you do on the 28, which showed my inexperience) I found a much more gentle approach to the controls is needed in the 38.
I did have a trimmer problem once in the 38 when it snapped all the way back and put me in an awkward position on finals, although as we all know with any aircraft things can and do go wrong from time to time.
The dodgy spin characteristics I have been told differ from aircraft to aircraft, one of the instructors at Tees Valley told me he had spun them numerous times in the past with no problems, he then hopped in one he had never spun before and when he did the nose began to pitch up and down by a substantial amount during the spin which was something he had never experienced in 38 before. I think its these differences coupled with a few crashes caused by inexperienced pilots getting caught out in a spin that have given this cracking little aircraft its bad reputation.
Despite this, I absolutley loved flying it, and although I havent flown one for a couple of years now I would jump on the chance to get back in one as its a lovely little aircraft to fly especially if your on a budget.
Steve