PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memory upgrade and Paging file.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 08:08
fradu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Memory upgrade and Paging file.

Hello there,
I am hoping for some advice on RAM and Paging file sizes!
My PC specs...

- Asrock ALIVENF6G-DVI Skt AM2 Nvidia NF6100-430 onboard 256MB shared VGA 8 channel audio mATX
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2 (2.2GHz) L2 1MB (2x512KB) Processor
- 2 x 1GB DDR2 667MHz PC2-5400 RAM
- Seagate 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard disk (partitioned 60Gb/100/120Gb)
- Windows XP Home SP2 OS

I am considering upgrading the RAM to 4Gb, but have become aware that there is a chance that XP Home will not recognise it fully?
Does any PPRuNers have experience with this issue, and would you recommend me upgrading the memory?
My motherboard recommends I run RAM in pairs, so would 3Gb (2 x 512Mb and 2 x 1Gb) be acceptable, or would that not be fully recognised by XP Home?

Onto paging files, mine is currently set to an initial size of 2976Mb (1.5 x RAM) and maximum 5952Mb (3 x RAM) stored on C drive.
Are these figures oversized? I don't really want to run without a paging file or one that is of minimal size, as I have had problems with RAM before, but 5952Mb does seem a bit large to be handing over!
The PC is used for a bit of gaming, web-design and multiple Adobe Photoshop file edits (all open at one time), plus the usual Office, Antivirus/Firewall/Spyware programs that run in the 'background'.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I hope I've covered everything.
If not, please feel free to shout!

Many thanks for your time.
Mark