PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 21st Aug 2007, 20:32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seniority / Self Interest

Some intersting posts.
Captain Peacock - I know you are not suggesting that an immediate post grad medic should operate on someone's mother. Seniority is not the issue but competence is.
Parabellum - When you joined your airline (my assumption) others attempted to join too but were unsuccessful. They were no doubt disappointed but would understand that the best person got the job (not the eldest or most senior). Presumably the difference between you and the unsuccessful applicants (let's say they could all actually fly planes) was somehow measureable and objectively justifiable. Similarly for those who are successful in gaining comand, becoming training captains etc. when in competition for finite places. So, how can we not measure performance generally? Why are pilots to be the only group of workers (outside of friendly Zimbabwean officials) not subject to robust objective scrutiny?
7Q you are a worry! 6 minutes to post an even angrier defence of the indefencible?
All other professionals are subject to CPD and manage to get by without providing oral sex to those in influence over their careers - or is it only pilots who do not? Perleeaase!!
Others have answered as to why seniority is on its last legs and I expect those of you who have suffered the ass end of the system will eagerly await your turn. Bad luck. If you aint gonna get it in 5, it will not happen via this system anyway. Someone (nice and junior, probably looking for greater flexibility) will challenge it and win under one to three heads of UK discrimation law.
Good luck to 'em I say