PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should low hour pilots start on Turboprops?
Old 21st Aug 2007, 17:44
Lord Lardy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think is the question is should low hour pilots start off on turboprops?

Like redsnail above, I started off on a 20 tonne turboprop. It was the best and hardest experience I have had in my aviation career to date. I did over 3000 hours on one, approximately 1000 in the left seat.

Now flying the airbus for the last number of years. Have to be honest and say that looking back, the turboprop was a dog to fly in comparison. The airbus 320/321 which I'm now on are alot easier to fly. The automation of the jet is fantastic. It's alot easier to control in critical situations i.e Engine failure on take off etc. Having had the experience of two engine failures, cranking down the landing gear by hand, and a couple of flapless landings on the turboprop, I can say that nothing even close to this has happened me since flying the bus of the sky.

So 8000 hours later, what do I think is the hardest to fly. Without question the turboprop. What is the most comfortable to fly? Without any doubt the jet. Reckon my hand flying skills today are considerably less than years ago. But then again, thats what the airbus was built for.