PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army Screws Up: UH-72A Lakota merged threads
Old 21st Aug 2007, 15:23
chuckolamofola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My beef is with the Army...I don't think they thought out their requirements very well at all, nor do I think they understand the nuances of the FARs. If you read their RFP last year, the aircraft could be "part 27 or part 29, or Cat-A or not...yada yada" If the Army wants to use civil cert, then fine...they need to be prepared for what they sign-up for. The avionics met the Part29 standard...which were NOT designed for operating at NTC in July.
You're right the Army should have realized this much sooner and I wasn't letting the Army off, but Eruocopter certainly ain't the hero's here either. We'll low ball it on the front end and then charge them on the back end. I believe the 145 was certified to Part 27... However, if what you say is true then it isn't fit for Las Vegas, Phoenix, EL Paso or the GOM. I've seen cockpit temps in the GOM in summer approach 125 degrees "f" when closed up and heat soaked in the sun.

BTW, isn't Ft. Rucker "Regular Army" and the UH72A destined to go to Guard Units to free up UH60's for the Regular Army?