PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The military medical system, does it suck the big one?
Old 21st Aug 2007, 15:13
Wensleydale

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
May I just add that the treatment that I had for my current medical problem has been first rate. The staff at Selly Oak were most efficient and friendly. My concern has been the wait between initial diagnosis of a condition last year, various tests and the recent treatment for my problem (that took all of 10 minutes).

As with everything in the NHS, priority has been given to life threatening conditions and my problem was not seen to be in that category. The fact that it was potentially career threatening did not seem to be given any urgency.

It appears that the MOD is prepared to risk shortening the careers of trained aircrew (at great expense) rather than invest in swifter (private) medical care. However they are doing little to slow down the PVR rate and therefore why should they bother with those rarities amongst us who wish to stay but may not be able to do so because of late treatment of a deteriorating medical condition and subsequent permanent loss of flying med cat?

Bottom line - I have my well drawn out medical history logged. My solicitor will get the details should I have to leave early and lose pension due to tardy treatment.