PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is ATC not an international business???
Old 21st Aug 2007, 15:13
elcrusoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a nut shell!!!

I understand pretty much everything everybody is saying. And well i just need to add this. We go through a hard training to get where we are in our facilities but i would have to add that some people do transfer within the agencies to other facilities. I know it is a common thing in the US not so sure in Europe or else where but come on i know that u can't compare one facility to another even in the same country. That facility does stuff different then the one you left.... U can't compare a JFK with a MIA and so on.

So knowing that we go through the hard training, don't you think that the training in another country (with more obstacles of course), is still something that we can all do. That is what a controller is made for. Overcoming difficult situations in a short timeframe.

I can bet that a controller at one of the big places in Europe could easily come to the US and train and be a perfectly usable body in the operations room and vice versa.

And well the other big problem with the language is that well in most countries all sunday pilots just speak the language of the country they fly in. So mostly VFR birds. I'm not defending the use of english or complaining of the use of another language however there are ways around this mountain. If you have no knowledge of the countries language well i know for sure that all high altitude traffic is conducted in english or at major airports everything is in english. And well if that isn't good enough well come on you know what you are asking for so if you do apply for a foreign company well the least would be to prepare for a move therefore learn the basics of the language not just for a job but out of respect for the country and the people.

But overall, this seems to be a lost battle before it ever starts however if you think about it, ladies and gents, well just keep on keeping the skies safe and well maybe someday the ATC industry might just be an open market for us all. And the dream of controlling in an exotic destination not known to you could possibly come true.......