PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should low hour pilots start on Turboprops?
Old 21st Aug 2007, 14:24
Orp Tolip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't really argue with many of the comments made so far.
You're lucky to be in the position where you can choose, so choose wisely.
I'n my pre-aviation career we were encouraged by the company to take responsibility for our careers. Thus we were encouraged to request the training we wanted and were supported in our endevours to move onwards and upwards.
If you genuinly have the choice then think about where you want your career to go and where you want to end up and choose accordingly. Plenty of info dotted around this site.
It really is all about lifestyle, but that in itself is a very individual set of criteria, encompassing money, flying time, time away from home, days off, roster stability, career progression opportunities, type of flying, desire to 'see the world', working with a small team, being a small fish in a big sea etc etc etc.
Agree with Redsnaill sort of, although I missed out TP's myself, I did a few years air-taxi and survived. Turbo props will give you more weather experience and possibly a quicker command, though command at Ryanair can be quick I believe.
It may not all work out as you hope, but you really need to think about the future and where you want to end up, and position yourself accordingly.
In this instance I don't think there is a wrong answer, although personally, had I been in your position, would have steered clear of taking on yet more debt (I'm still paying my training off some 6 years after obtaining the frozen ATPL).
Good luck