PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should low hour pilots start on Turboprops?
Old 21st Aug 2007, 13:22
Finals19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maude Charlee has it in one.

For me, its definitely about lifestyle - thats the key factor in the decision.
In another life, admittedly as Cabin Crew, I experienced long haul flying on jets. Let me tell the uninitiated that it SERIOUSLY SCREWS with your home life...waaay more than S/H flying (be that in TP or jet) Aside from the longhaul issue, I would agree that the nature of TP flying is going to keep you "on your toes" and your hand flying skills sharper (although with the advent of full glass and FMS a la Dash 8 Q400, I wonder if the gap is narrowing?) but thats a personal choice.

I am mid thirties, past 1000hrs in m/e time and converting an ICAO licence. I am most definitely looking at S/H flying once converted, but my take on getting hired at a T/P operator is slightly different to most here. I would see such a move with a decent operator more as a long term career move - captains at certain TP operators can command 60-70K/year and if money isn't the be all and end all, then that's just fine.

Last edited by Finals19; 21st Aug 2007 at 13:24. Reason: Because I skipped spelling class at school.....