PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should low hour pilots start on Turboprops?
Old 21st Aug 2007, 10:53
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
My personal opinion and I've now flown both.

Go for the turboprop job as financially, you're in a more secure position esp if you don't have to pay for the rating. You'll learn a lot more about weather flying, esp in the terminal area than flying a jet. You'll do a lot more sectors (generally) and you'll be exposed to a lot more than with the jet. This is all good experience which will stand you in very good stead for the future.

If your turboprop has glass and FMS etc then you won't miss out much versus the jet.

Hand flying skills are maintained and believe it or not, it's useful.

When you do move to a jet the experience will help greatly. I found that my experience with the t/prop in manky weather translated easily. About the only thing I was challenged with was the FMS as I hadn't used one before. Also, instead of 3 miles a minute, I have to use 6-7 miles a minute. That took all of 30 seconds to get used to.

The future is impossible to predict. You might get laid off just after you start with the jet job and all that's out there is a t/prop job... Also, you might decide you want to fly a corporate jet and the "hands on" experience will definitely help you here.

Experience isn't just only hours. It's being exposed to many different things and learning.

Good luck.