PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 1 Renewals After Age 40 ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2007, 09:19
Canada Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spoke to an AME last night (not the one I've used for the last 3 years as he has semi-retired and I can't get an appointment with him in a timely manner and the one day he now works I'm away from home) to make an appointment for a renewal and he seemed pretty sure that my medical would only be valid for 6 months, which is frustrating as I am applying for multi crew positions. The issue I feel that may have clouded things is I told him I fly single pilot paradrop. However, I did point out that this is not commercial, i.e. I don't get paid for it and other pilots that fly there only have PPL. He seemed to feel that this didn't make any difference ! In fact he said he had just confirmed with the CAA as one of his 'patients' has a PPL and a Class 1 (which seems weird unless they are working towards a CPL?) and as they are over 40 they have to renew it every 6 months.

He also said that if your medical expires by more than 28 days then the CAA want to know why and reports have to be submitted. Well guess what - that was last week for me if my medical really was only valid for 6 months !!

What I find frustrating is that there seems to be general confusion and contradiction and perhaps some of the rules are open to interpretation somewhat by AME's. On the plus side he said that following the overhaul last December, an eye exam with an optician is no longer required at this point if you eyes are better than -5/6 dioptre which mine are !!

CG.